In 1916, over 3000 suffragists
converged on Saint Louis, Missouri in the sweltering heat for the Democratic
National Convention to demand that a plank be included in the party platform in
support of women's suffrage. The women wore white dresses and golden sashes
that said “Votes for Women” and lined Locust Street where the delegates would
walk from the Jefferson Hotel to the convention center. Their “walkless
talkless parade” would become known as “The Golden Lane” and they accomplished
their objective, as this was included in the 1916 Democratic platform (from p. 21 of the National Democratic Party's Democratic Text Book - 1916):
“We recommend the extension
of the franchise
to the women of the country
by the States upon the same terms
as to men.”
10:00 Music
10:30 Join the parade! Wear white like the 1916 suffragists. Or, just be yourself - which is part of what the suffragists were fighting for.
11:00 Speakers
11:30-2 Food, Shopping, Voter Registration, Music, Movies, and More
Here is one of the poems, from the section "Our Friend the Enemy" - and some pictures of our book display. Hope you come visit us if you come to the celebration - or any time you are downtown.
Her Representative
"I represent my wife," he said;
"I really cannot see
How she would profit by the vote;
I vote for her and me.
And men consider - Time has shown -
Their wives' opinions like their own.
"If my wife voted she would vote
For many silly measures,
Which do not add in any way
To profits or to pleasures;
Like Widows' Pensions, Equal Pay,
More schools, and an eight-hour day.
"On Woman Suffrage I vote no;
Perhaps you had not heard
My wife believes in that as well;
How wicked and absurd!
Oh let us save domestic strife,
And let me represent my wife!"
"I really cannot see
How she would profit by the vote;
I vote for her and me.
And men consider - Time has shown -
Their wives' opinions like their own.
"If my wife voted she would vote
For many silly measures,
Which do not add in any way
To profits or to pleasures;
Like Widows' Pensions, Equal Pay,
More schools, and an eight-hour day.
"On Woman Suffrage I vote no;
Perhaps you had not heard
My wife believes in that as well;
How wicked and absurd!
Oh let us save domestic strife,
And let me represent my wife!"
No comments:
Post a Comment